“trust the magic of new beginnings”
Every New Year, it’s a tradition in my family to make lentils. It’s supposed to bring in the new year with good luck; so every year I make them. I always wonder if it would make a difference if I didn’t make them, but I won’t take a chance. I decided to make them a little different than the way I usually make them. Ronnie isn’t a bit surprised.
Lentils with sausage
- 1 16 oz bag of black lentils
- tomato paste, to taste (I used a few squirts)
- olive oil
- fresh garlic cloves, minced
- vegetable broth and seasoning mixed with water
- 1 pound of sausage cut into pieces, I used sweet Italian, you can use your favorite
- seasoning to taste
- parmesan cheese, to taste.
I sautéed the celery and minced garlic with the sausage in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, let cook until the sausage is almost cooked. Then, add the tomato paste, carrots, and 8 cups of water with the seasoning mix. Add the lentils cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until “al dente’ but cooked through.